Please feel free to contact us!

Please do not hesitate to come to the Work-Life Balance Counseling Room when you are in the following situations. The Work-Life Balance Counseling Room welcomes you to bring a wide range of everyday problems/issues. The followings are some examples:
** All counseling sessions are free of charge, and there is no need for you to bring your health insurance card.


Q: Is there anything I could do to reduce my severe menstrual pain?
A: It’s not a good idea to just bear with your severe pain. Please visit our Counseling Room to talk to our counselor who is a gynecologist and ask her whether or not you need to be seen at a hospital for further checkups and what you can do to help reduce your severe menstrual pain, depending on your situations.

Q: My menstruation is irregular. Do you think this has to do with my lack of sleep and/or being on a diet?
A: It could be related to both. Please come to our Counseling Room. Our gynecologist counselor can check your basal body temperature (taken for approximately two weeks) and provide you with suggestions on what you can do in your everyday life to improve your physical condition. If you have other such physical symptoms as tiredness and dizziness, please consult with the counselor about them also. In case the counselor thinks you would benefit from being treated at an off-campus clinic/hospital, the counselor can write a medical reference letter for you and refer you to an appropriate clinic/hospital for treatment.

Pregnancy and Parenting

Q: I want to talk to a professional about pregnancy and parenting. Where should I go and who should I talk to?
A: Please come to our Counseling Room. We have two counselors who are gynecologist and midwife respectively. Please try talking to them. We’ll make sure to protect your confidentiality.

Q: How long could I take maternity leave (before and after childbirth)?
A: You can leave for eight weeks before and eight weeks after your childbirth. In addition, you can ask for exemption from your ”duty of devotion to serve” when you need to take some time off for your periodical medical check-ups.


Q: I’m a student. My mother asks me to go home on weekends to help her provide my grandmother with nursing care. What do you think I should do?
A: This may not cause you a big problem if your home is close to the University you attend. However, if your home is far from the university and it takes a long time for you to get home, it may be difficult for you to meet your mother’s request. Since, as a student, you need a lot of time to study, it might be good to go home only when you are not on a tight schedule. Providing your mother with emotional support by listening to her talk about how your grandmother is and what problems your mother experiences might help reduce her stress level.

Nursing Care

Q: My mother’s body has been paralyzed since she had a stroke. Recently, my father, who takes care of my mother, seems really exhausted.
A: Your mother can use her nursing insurance and receive public nursing care by going through care need assessments, etc. – a professional determines the level of the care she needs. Our counselor specializing in nursing care can help you find the support and care your parents need by fully taking their circumstances and preferences into consideration.

Q: My uncle lives alone in a remote place. He started to show symptoms/signs of dementia. For example, he has become really forgetful. My mother is very worried about him.
A: We have adult guardianships where our counselor ensures appropriate management of the client’s estate according to the client’s preference, while respecting his/her intentions.